Clear Confident Leader Weekly Observer, Issue #67
From the Greenbelt of Boise Idaho, Snowfall transforming
I work with many leaders as a leadership development coach, and our conversations often start with what’s not working in their current situations.
Using this image as context, the story could be its cold and stormy, the path ahead is slippery and uneven, our project is behind and I need a solution to get there now. The tension is heavy often weighing people down.
When we feel the pressure of a situation weighing upon us, we can unconsciously react with patterns we have used throughout our lives:
- I’ll take control and drive things forward to get us there once again.
- I’ll look for ways to distance and protect myself, and prove why I’m not responsible.
- I’ll comply and go along with what’s happening.
An alternative is to consciously stop and consider what is there to learn now?
Here are some powerful questions to consider:
- What outcomes would I like to see happen?
- How are my reactions getting in my way?
- What do I care about creating for myself and those around me?
- How do I/we consciously learn and grow as we respond to this situation?
When we unconsciously react with past patterns, we reinforce the habitual grooves we’ve built through our lives. When we pause to reflect and learn we open the possibility for transforming the outcomes and ourselves.
I work with teams and leaders to create better results through the conscious practice of leadership. Let’s create a better future today!